Monday, May 3, 2010

Home-grown is so much better



Not even gonna say anything about not posting in ages. Not. a. thing.

This winter when I was home visiting my parents I happened to pick up and browse through a seed catalog and it got me thinking. My grandparents have planted a garden for as long as I remember; my dad often planted small ones while we were growing up and now plants a large one every year; my sister and brother-in-law have been planting for several years. Why not me?

Maybe because Andre and I live in a townhouse with a concrete patio for a "backyard" and pine straw-covered flower beds for a front yard. What is a farm-girl-at-heart to do?

A pot garden! Wait. Pots garden? Container garden!

My first ever produce. One beautifully ripe strawberry. Andre and I split it for dessert. Or maybe for a dessert garnish.

My strawberry vs. Dole's. Smaller but 0h-so-much sweeter!

What I predict will be the first blueberry to ripen. We had lots of flowers at first without any fruiting, but that's starting to change!

The second tomato. Sadly, the first tomato fruit succombed to a tragic accident when its stalk was completely severed during an attempt to prove to Andre that we did, in fact, have a tomato on the way.

The Windowsill o' Herbs. They are, from L-->R, rosemary, thai basil, german thyme, chives, sweet basil, and more rosemary.

I also have a couple different kinds of peppers that are starting to show promise. The first flower has been spotted, and I will be keeping a close eye (and a much gentler hand) on the situation. I am also keeping a running tally of the produce picked and eaten--so far, we've had 7 strawberries and 0 anything else. It's still early.

1 comment:

Patrice said...

AWESOME! I just planted a small garden in our backyard and am thinking about doing a few herbs on the back deck. Not sure yet. I don't think my okra are going to make it though. I bought the last two plants at Lowes and they are nothing more than little almost broken stems with one leaf each. NOT looking promising. Proud of you. Go on with your bad self.